Tral Man Killed In ‘Gunfight’

Kashmir IGP Vijay Kumar PTI 1 Tral Man Killed In 'Gunfight'

He Was Given Ample Chance To Surrender But Declined: IGP

Srinagar, June 2 (GNS): Four days into police custody, a man from Tral area of ​​south Kashmir was killed overnight in a “gunfight” inside SOG camp Tral in south Kashmir’s where he allegedly snatched rifle of a policeman during interrogation, fired and critically injured him, officials said on Thursday.

The man, Mohammad Amin Malik, later locked himself in the interrogation room and fired from inside at police personnel, notwithstanding “sincere” calls for surrender and persuasions by police officers and his mother, who was brought to the spot, the officials said.

“Mohammad Amin Malik son of Abdul Ahad Malik of Nagbal Machhma, Tral, an active (militant) operative got neutralized in an overnight operation on 2/3 June, jointly conducted by Awantipora Police, 180 battalion CRPF and 42 RR of army at Police Component complex Tral, ”a police spokesman said in a statement to GNS.

“He was arrested on May 30 along with incriminating materials viz. arms, ammunition and explosives including unlicensed 12 bore gun, live rounds, explosives, iron / steel balls, 9 feature phones and other warlike stores used in fabrication of IEDs. “

He said a case (FIR No. 48/20210 under relevant sections of law was registered at Police Station Tral.

“The (militant) operative was on Police remand and on June 2, he was brought from Police Station Tral to the Police Component, Tral for further interrogation,” the spokesman said, adding, “During the interrogation (he) got hold of the service rifle (AK 47) of CT Amjad Khan and fired indiscriminately with intention to kill the Police personnel. ”

He was “critically wounded” by Amjad Khan, the spokesman said.

“(He) then took total control of the interrogation room and engaged the police personnel by firing intermittently from the snatched weapon,” the spokesman said, adding, “Sensing grave danger to the lives of police personnel and that of the (militant) operative.” , his mother and Executive Magistrate were brought on the site and repeated sincere efforts were made to persuade him to go through the weapon and surrender. ”

He, however, displayed complete defiance to such persuasions and not only refused to surrender but also fired upon the Police party engaged in persuasion, the spokesman said. “One of the police personnel was hit with a bullet on the chest and survived because of the bulletproof jacket he was wearing,” the spokesman said.

After failing of all efforts to ensure his surrender, he was engaged in a gunfight “following the rules and SoP of such engagement and was neutralized.”

Inspector General of Police Kashmir Vijay Kumar told GNS ample opportunities were given to him to surrender but he declined.

“The snatched weapon was recovered from (his) possession,” the spokesman said, adding, “In this regard, a case FIR no. 61/2021 under relevant sections of law stands registered at Police Station Tral and investigation taken up, ”the spokesman, meanwhile, said.

Amin’s body was sent to Police Hospital Srinagar for medico-legal formalities, the spokesman said.

“It’s pertinent to mention that the slain was active (militant) of Hizb ul Mujahideen in the past and was arrested in 2003. Further, his brother Shabir Malik was also a (militant) of AGuH outfit who was killed at Brenpathri in 2019,” the spokesman added. (GNS)

Author: faisal